- Swimming Lessons are back in September - read all about it.
- Face Masks - from Monday 10 August face masks should be worn when walking through the centres.
- Reopening of Leisure- from Monday 10 August - swimming at Ards, badminton, pickleball and tennis at Ards and Comber will be back.
- New Memberships - we are now accepting new memberships, click here to be contacted.
Move More Ards and North Down
A physical activity project funded by Macmillan Cancer Support
What is Move More?
Move More Ards and North Down is a physical activity project that supports people living with and beyond cancer, helping them to become and remain active, resulting in being able to enjoy an improved quality of life.
It is funded by Macmillan Cancer Support and is supported by the South Eastern Health & Social Care Trust, Ards and North Down Borough Council and Peninsula Healthy Living Centre. The project is managed by Northern Community Leisure Trust.
Why physical activity?
A recent and growing body of research has shown that physical activity can help to:
- Reduce the consequences of cancer treatment (e.g. fatigue, weight loss, weight gain, depression, anxiety, loss of mobility)
- Reduce co-morbidities (e.g. cardiovascular disease, coronary heart disease, stroke, dementia)
- Reduce the spread and progression of cancer
- Decrease the risk of cancer recurrence
It is also known that it is safe to be active during and after most types of cancer treatment.
How can Move More help you?
Macmillan Move More have a local co-ordinator based in the Ards and North Down area.
Eimear Hagan, our co-ordinator, is trained in Level 4 Exercise and Cancer Rehabilitation and can provide you with the help and support that you need to initiate and sustain an active lifestyle.
Eimear will start by identifying the activities that are right for you, whether you would prefer to go walking, be active in the park with your children or grandchildren, exercise in the gym, go for a swim, or get involved in sport. Once you've identified the right activities she will then help with finding a time and place that is both suitable and accessible for you.
Free taster sessions are available for some activities so you can try them out. Eimear can also advise on discounted membership rates which will help you sustain your active lifestyle.
By helping you to become more active, Eimear will help to improve your clinical and quality of life outcomes.
Move More Circuits at Ards
Join Eimear (pictured)
at 12.45pm to 1.30pm
at Ards Blair Mayne Wellbeing and Leisure Complex
You can take part in the class if you have submitted the Move More Registration Form.The form can be completed with Eimear at the complex prior to the class. To arrange this please see the contact details below.
How do I get involved?
To get involved in Move More Ards and North Down you will need to complete and return the Registration Form. Eimear will contact you to arrange a meeting at a time and place that suits you.
To find out more or have a chat with Eimear you can contact her on:
Mobile: 07718 194434
Landline: 028 9127 7418